22 Jul Choosing a Mover
How many people are planning to move this year? According to statistics, millions! It’s important to get the entire picture of the company you’ve hired to move your things.
Today, Deborah Elliott-Shultz welcomes Ken Sheppart of Johnson Storage and Moving to discuss what to look for when hiring a moving company and what to watch out for.
Johnson Moving and Storage was started in 1900 and is into it’s 4th generation of family owned and operated. They also work in 8 other states. Employees have gone through background checks, drug tests, training, and certification. The company also pays their employees a percentage of contracted moves. This method has proven to be beneficial for both the company and the employee by encouraging the employees to be careful with the client’s possessions while providing one of the highest wages in the country.
When you hire a moving company, you will want to ask:
- What steps do they take to ensure the safety of your possessions?
- Can the company do what you need? (Interstate, local, and commercial moves. Sometimes, a company will even have an IT department that specializes in moving computers and other technical equipment)
- What is their PUC#? (Public Utilities Commission Number. It shows that they can legally move your belongings. Johnson Moving and Storage has PUC#1 because they’ve been around since 1900)
- What is their ICC#? (Interstate Commerce Commission. This means the company is allowed to move things across state lines.)
- Are they in good standing with the BBB? (Better Business Bureau)
- Copy of the company’s certificate of insurance (this will get rid of 90% of scammers)
Ken also discusses with Deborah what to expect when a moving company comes to do an assessment as well as scams to watch out for! This is a show you won’t want to miss.
If you have questions or would like to get in touch with Ken about hiring Johnson Moving and Storage, you can reach him at (719) 290-3913 or his office at (719) 598-1414. You can also ask Deborah your questions about moving, or anything else about real estate, at (719) 641-1357.